Adoption Voices

Encouraged to write of our adoption story, but unsure of its publishing viability

Why I haven't come across this forum before, who knows.  Busy with kids, maybe.
My wife and I have seven adopted children, the first three adopted 'organically', one at a time, as babies, all three internationally.   We were pursuing our fourth (22 years after our first), a pursuit that was interrupted by the sudden death of our oldest son (18)  in an auto accident.  The adoption pursuit did carry on (that continues to be hard), and the short story is that we were led to the adoption of four siblings, ages 5 to 12, from our oldest son's birth country, Colombia. That was finalized in December, 2008.
The purpose of this post?  Many persons have encouraged us in putting our crazy story down in book form, and if our Caringbridge blog is any measure, people might like to read of our journey.  Maybe to just be thankful it is we who are crazy, and not them.
Anyone have any experience or exposure to publishing adoption stuff?  I am a father, husband, working person who also has been able to get the book half done, and am trying to find out if the story is unique or compelling enough to really press to get finished and published.  If not compelling, that's OK as the writing has been cathartic.  If it is a cool story, I'll work hard to find a way to get it finished and published w/o spending too many $$.  Christmas is coming, you know.  I attached a quick blurb from the book, a prologue section that any interested party can read, and if so inclined, comment on.
Again, I am happy to have found this forum.  Seems a genuine place for genuine adoption folks.

Views: 42

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I, myself, like to read many adoption journey stories. For those who have a talent for writing and enjoy the writing process then to put their adoption story into written words is a gift to the adoption world. I enjoy reading stories in article form, in a blog and many times as an adoption event unfolds.
The fact that many think your journey is unique and are encouraging you to write, that is a plus. Good luck and welcome to AV,
Thx, Laura, for your support and comments.
I think it is the very nature of adoptive parents to want to share and live in the stories that unfold as children are adopted. Success stories involving children is what we are all about.
I am drafting a magazine submission at this very moment (WNY Family Magazine), and while I am not a published author, they are looking for articles written by fathers. Author not yet, but father, yes!

Laura C said:
I, myself, like to read many adoption journey stories. For those who have a talent for writing and enjoy the writing process then to put their adoption story into written words is a gift to the adoption world. I enjoy reading stories in article form, in a blog and many times as an adoption event unfolds.
The fact that many think your journey is unique and are encouraging you to write, that is a plus. Good luck and welcome to AV,
Thx for the information

Beckett Franklin Gray said:
Publishing through Amazons createspace.com is very affordable. It automatically creates an Amazon listing and for a small fee you can get really unlimited listings (Barnes and Nobles, etc.). If you don't mind marketing there are absolutely no barriers to getting published in this current market.
You can publish in print AND Kindle format! I encourage you because at the very least you'd have the story written for your children and their children, which is like gold. Right?

Beckett Franklin Gray

Author: "The Hybrid Family: Understanding Trans-Ethnic Adoptive Par...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsors

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Members

© 2014   Created by Adoption Voices.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service