Adoption Voices

Hello everyone! Please stop in here and introduce yourself. :-)

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

My name is Hallie and I have been married for over 10 years. We have one adopted son and we are in the process of finding again. We are have begun the search into homeschooling. My husband was an elementary school teacher and now teaches at the University level. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know.
Currently have a 3 yo and went to our first homeschool playdate today with a friend. I was wondering if you could HS a child that you maybe fostering or if they would have to go to public school.
I have 7 bio kids and we're licensed foster parents hoping to adopt. We started homeschooling in '98.
Hi everyone,
My name is Sarah and we live in SE Michigan. I home school my two biological daughters (3 and 2) and really think homeschooling can be great for an adopted child. When our family is older, we would love to adopt a sibling group - or older child and think this would be important, although that's just a gut feeling more than anything. We're patiently waiting to find our BM!!

:) Sarah
Letter of the week.com is what I've been using for Ava and Violet. It's really basic. I also subscribe to a million homeschool blogs that keep me motivated! Another mom and I meet once a week and introduce the theme/letter. That also helps the motivation going.

:) Sarah

Hallie Owens said:
My name is Hallie and I have been married for over 10 years. We have one adopted son and we are in the process of finding again. We are have begun the search into homeschooling. My husband was an elementary school teacher and now teaches at the University level. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know.
Hi everyone!
I am a homeschooling mom of three kids, ages 11, 8 and 8. My younger two are 10 months apart and we adopted them three years ago from the foster care system. I have been home educating for 5 years and believe home educating is usually the best choice for any child, but especially adopted kids. My reasoning is that parents are already at a disadvantage in the bonding arena when they adopt (no matter the age of the child) and home educating gives you back the advantage because you don't have to send them away. How can you effectively bond with a child when you send them away for forty hours a week? Plus, it forces you to look yourself in the mirror and figure out what you need to change about yourself because you are leading by example, 24/7.

Homeschooling my kids is one of the hardest things I've ever done, and there are days that I am frustrated, but in the end, I know it's the best choice I could make for them. I love helping other people get started homeschooling and I especially love reaching out to families who are experiencing severe behaviors and attachment disorder who are attempting to homeschool. We have learned so much from our children and it is gratifying to share our knowledge with others.

We have a style that is very ecclectic and I use what works in the moment. The two things that never change in our homeschool are reading lots of books and doing unit studies. Hands on activities are the ticket for kids who are developmentally behind or who have sensory integration issues (mine are in both categories). Adoption has made me much more flexible but I think as a result of that, I've become a better teacher. I've realized that learning is happening all the time, not just when a child has a workbook in front of them, and that your child doesn't have to know how to read herself in order to learn from books.

My name is Madeleine, and I am in my 21st year of homeschooling.  

We have 3 bio kids, 26 y.o. son, 23 y.o. daughter, 13 year old son.  The 2 oldest graduated from home.  Our 13 year old is doing 7th grade. We are also grandparents!  <3

We adopted our now 4 year old daughter from China, and I love having her at home, sitting along side her as she learns, laughs, and discovers new wonders.  Her brother taking time out of math to read to his little sister.  Advancing her strengths and working on her weaknesses.

We are in the tail end of our second adoption.  This time our daughter is from the Congo.  I am so thankful that though they may look diametrically opoosite form each toher, being raised together, loving each other, learning together, and bonding will take place on the livingroom table.  Or the couch.

Hi my name is Leticia, we have not yet adopted but are making steps toward adopting. My husband and I have 2 bio children that are 20 and 17. I have homeschooled my oldest from 2nd grade up and my youngest is currently a homeschool junor (11th grade). I am really curious how it has worked for those who have adopted older children.

RSS

Sponsors

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Members

© 2014   Created by Adoption Voices.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service